Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Grandmother Quite Possibly made the best Banana Nut Bread on the Planet

It has taken me 30 years, but I’ve finally come close to her recipe.  Not an easy task.  My grandmother didn’t write down any of her recipes.  I only basically remembered by watching and helping.  She also never really measured anything, she just grabbed and dumped.  Her food was fabulous.  Although she never really claimed to be any sort of an expert cook, she could rival some of what is now considered “culinary genius”.   Without further ado, please enjoy…

Neurotic Grandma’s Best Ever Banana Nut Bread

Preheat oven to 350°F

Grab a big bowl and sift together:

1 ¾ c flour
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon (I never really measure this, I always add more or less ½ tsp.)

Set this bowl aside and grab another bowl:

Cream 1/3 c shortening

Gradually add 2/3 c granulated sugar and cream with shortening until fluffy

Add to shortening mixture:

½ tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Beat together well.

Add 1 ½ c mashed banana

Then gradually incorporate the banana mixture with the flour mixture.

Once blended, you can add 1 c chopped walnuts (but this is optional, I make it without nuts for my friends that have allergies to nuts).

Grease and flour a loaf pan (9” x 5” or so), and dump the mixture in.

Bake for an hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment