Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2016

Spanish Rice

My cousin, Kelly, in Martinsville, Indiana asked me if I remembered how to make Grandma's Spanish rice. I really had to think about this, because I only remember having it once, so it took a while to remember exactly what went into it.

But, yay! I figured it out and through trial-and-error, here it is!

Grandma's Spanish Rice

2 T. Butter or EVOO
1 small onion, diced
1 c. rice (I like Mahatma) rinsed and dried as much as possible
1 8 oz. can of tomato puree or sauce
1 7 oz can of Green Giant ® Mexicorn, drained
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon
1 1/2 c. hot water

Melt butter or heat EVOO in a skillet over medium heat.
Add diced onion and sautee for 2 minutes
Add rice to onion and oil and continue to sautee. Rice should cook until slightly browned.
Add the tomatoes and corn and stir. Simmer while you prepare fluid.
Heat water to boiling then add bouillon and chili powder and dissolve stirring constantly.
Add liquid to rice mixture and increase heat to boiling.
Cover and simmer (about 15 minutes) or until water is absorbed.

Makes about 4 servings.

You can add more or less of the chili powder depending on how much heat you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment